Anzac Day Closure
Added over 7 years ago
Kashgar will be closed today in order to honour Anzac Day, a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to remember members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I. It now more broadly commemorates all those who died and served in military operations for their countries.
Tens of thousands of people have attended the dawn ceremonies held across Australia to mark the occasion, in Sydney standing in the rain at the Cenotaph in Martin Place for a minute's silence, the playing of The Last Post and a wreath-laying ceremony. Many sevicemen and women who fought in all the wars will join parades through our major cities and towns, with those passed represented by younger members of their families.
Telelvised events (all times AEST) include:
• 4.30am Sydney Dawn Service LIVE
• 9am New Zealand National Wreath Laying LIVE from Wellington
• 10.30am The National ANZAC Day match LIVE from Canberra
• 12.30pm Gallipoli Dawn Service LIVE
• 1.30pm Villers Bretonneux Dawn Service LIVE
• 5pm Lone Pine Service LIVE
Lest We Forget